Tuesday, August 4, 2015

This is Just the Beginning...

    Since I was in middle school I have had an idea of what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, become a physical therapist. I started playing soccer in the seventh grade where my passion would soon begin. My knees began to dislocate temporarily when I would plant and twist, and sometimes lock in a flexed position if I were to fall on them. A major inconvenience for a young girl just trying to be great at a sport. After my knees popped out the first few times, I went to the doctor; because that is not normal for knees to dislocate. Luckily, a major injury that needed surgery was out of the question, the doctors just told me I needed to strengthen the muscles around my knees (i.e. hamstrings and quadriceps) to prevent dislocation from occurring. They prescribed wearing a brace, icing for the pain, and physical therapy which I had to attend several days a week. As soon as I began my physical training my passion for the profession grew. I loved watching myself and others in the clinic become stronger and recover from injuries. Every session seemed like a struggle but when I came back, I was a little stronger. The other patients receiving treatment felt the same way, you can see it in their eyes as they finished their last set of squats or lateral arm raises. The clinic was a place for hope and determination, which immediately lured me in. I would look forward to going to physical therapy so I could learn more stretches and exercises as well as seeing improvement in myself and others. When my treatment stopped, my passion never did. I would always watch in fascination as my soccer coach would wrap a teammates ankle or if an athletic trainer needed to rush the field to attend to an injury, I was always so curious as to what the protocol was. I wanted to make treatment plans and make athletes, or people in general, stronger then they were before an injury. I wanted to help others, to show them to push themselves so they can be better, watching that success of others and taking part in it is my dream.

     My junior year of high school I took sports medicine and honors anatomy and physiology. To some people it was just another class, but to me I wanted to excel in the class and understand the material, I was determined to learn everything I could about these courses. Now as senior year begins to roll around,  new challenges and opportunities emerge. I was lucky enough to be selected as an physical therapist intern at the San Ramon Regional Hospital. I am beyond excited and nervous to see what this course has in store for me. With the help of iQuest and Advanced Sports Medicine I can submerge myself deeper in the career I want to pursue in and out of college. Senior year will be full of new opportunities and chances to show how passionate I am about physical therapy. I hope to learn everyday and to never slack in school, even though finding motivation will be hard. As I push through my last year in high school I will still find time for family and friends, always keeping a smile, and motivating class mates. With all my extra energy, Trevor Koehne, a friend, and myself will be the new MCs for all school events in leadership.  On top of that, I will be continuing working as a barista at Starbucks. It seems I have a lot on my plate senior year, but I am going to make it one to remember. Staying focused will be a challenge but being able to do what I love is worth the price.

9 comments:

  1. I really enjoy the aesthetics of your blog! It looks like you had fun with it and really made it your own with color and personality which I appreciate. I liked how you wrote about your own injury and how you connected your injury to your passion for physical therapy, it shows that you truly care about this career!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rylie,

    It's really fascinating to see that a personal injury started your passion for a lifelong career. You seem to have a really busy year, but you're really successful and I'm sure will achieve all your goals. I can't wait to hear about your physical therapy stories from your internship as we are both interested in the medical field. I'm sure you will have an amazing experience.

    Sydney Larsen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your passion, and how dedicated you are to physical therapy. It seems like you are really striving to achieve your goals. You put your blog together very nicely, and your post is intriguing to read. I love how you incorporated your own injury- it relates to physical therapy too! Good luck in the future, I hope all goes well.
    -Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rylie, I'm super excited to watch you excel this year as we have sports-med and iQuest together! Having sports-med and Anatomy with you last year, I could totally tell that you wanted to learn as much as you could! You were such a positive influence on me and the rest of our classmates! You're going to do great things in your future and maybe we'll see eachother after highschool in the field of physical therapy ;) Goodluck with everyuthing this year Ryles, keep me posted with how your internship is gong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had as intriguing reason as you to get into my profession! It's awesome that you have such aspirations and dedication to such a compelling career already! I know a few people in college and recently graduated that also are looking into a career in PT, so please let me know if you would like me to contact them for you so you can hear about the college life and studies required to go into physical therapy. Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ryles you're such a stud and I don't think I tell you enough how much I admire you. This internship couldn't be more perfect for you and this year is going to be a blast! Your blog is extremely well written, as well as your sources of inspiration and passion. You're someone I can guarantee will go on to do big big things and I am ecstatic to see what they are! Keep me updated on all your stories of hospitality in the hospital ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an incredible blog and story Rylie! I love how your first hand experience is turning into your life long passion and career. You are involved in so much this year and add so much to our Cal High and San Ramon community - we are all grateful for what you do for each of us. I also want to thank you for doing all that you do with a smile on your face. Your positivity shines through and brightens the world around you. I believe that a positive attitude and outlook on life as just as important as academic credentials...you have both and are sure to be successful because of it. Keep reaching for the stars! I can't wait to see all that you achieve. Mrs. Gagnon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Rylie! Its pretty really neat that you found something you like through personal experience. Physical therapy is a very cool job, where you will learn a lot. My cousin is a physical therapist and he always tells me that I should do it, so it must be fun. Proud of you for pursuing your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Rylie! Its pretty really neat that you found something you like through personal experience. Physical therapy is a very cool job, where you will learn a lot. My cousin is a physical therapist and he always tells me that I should do it, so it must be fun. Proud of you for pursuing your dreams.

    ReplyDelete